"The World's Most Beautiful Voyage"

Var Frue Kirke

Our Lady's Church

One of the buildings extensively studied in Trondheim was Var Frue Kirke (Our Lady's Church). A dignified stone church, it is one of the two (out or 17) medieval churches left. (The other is the Nidaros Domkirke). It was built in 1150 and enlarged in 1686.


A large bell tower was added to the west end in 1739.


While not a more typical wooded church, its well kept interior exemplifies the usual arrangement of Norwegian churches. The main entrance, on the west end, leads to an entry way with various sculptures.


This entry leads to a long narrow nave which terminates on the east end with an altar and an exceedingly elaborate altar piece.


The prominent crucifix reflects its Roman Catholic background.


The table in front of the depiction of the Last Supper holding a copy of the Bible reflects its present Lutheran affiliation.


As usual, above the west entrance is a choir loft containing a large organ. If one looks closely at the right side of the above photograph of the nave, one can see a bit of the usual ornate pulpit about a quarter of the way to the west end of the nave.


An unusual feature of this church is a large stone block cross about a third of the length of the nave laid out on the floor with a box of votive candles nearby so that people can light them and place them on the cross.


The church may have been built in 1150 but it is in use now. Here the nave has been filled with seats. Furthermore, in recognition of the modern day insistence on comfort, heating elements have been installed under the seats.


The social safety net of current day Norway is designed so that nobody need to completely lack food and shelter. But there are always those who, for one reason or other, slip through the cracks. This church provides food for those who seek it in a small kitchen under the choir loft. When we were there one street person was eating a breakfast.